Escarpment Laboratories - Lactobacillus Blend 2.0
This blend is a product of our ongoing research into optimizing Lactobacillus strain selection. It is a blend of our main L. plantarum strain with a strain of Lactobacillus rhamnosus. This blend has a wide temperature range ( 30ºC to 45ºC) and enhances fruit flavours in the finished beer, with tasters noting red fruit and guava aromas. It is intended for kettle/quick souring but can also be used in 0 IBU wort.
Instructions for kettle/quick souring:
- Pasteurize wort at 180F/82C for 10 mins prior to pitching Lacto (if you can't purge with CO2 in the next step, do a short boil here)
- Chill to 45C/113F, purge with CO2, and pitch Lacto Blend
- Cover/seal and Insulate kettle/fermentor/souring vessel - with this blend, it's OK if the temperature drops to 30C/86F over time.
- Check pH or taste - typically, this blend hits the desired pH range (3.2-3.7 depending on beer style) within 18-36 hours.
- Boil to kill off the Lacto, chill, treat it like a normal beer from here on out (or don't - but we do recommend a full boil at some point in the process to reduce DMS in the wort).
- For more information and instructions on quick souring, please refer to the Milk the Funk Wiki as well as Escarpment's Kettle Souring SOP.
|Optimum Fermentation Temp.||32-42°C|